Monday, August 30, 2010

NCAA Football- Week 1

I decided to take a few weeks off writing on this blog due to my busy schedule. But now, I'm back and taking this blog in a different direction. Since my beloved Red Sox have continued to fall apart (losing 2 out of 3 to TB) and my fantasy baseball teams continue to go down the drain, football season is just around the corner. So from here on out til February, I'll be focusing these blogs on College and NFL. I'll discuss some of the key matchups and some upsets throughout the leagues.

Week 1 in College Football begins Thursday night and I'm ready for the action to begin.

KEY MATCHUPS:
1) Boise State vs. Virginia Tech (Monday at 8pm): Finally, coach Chris Peterson's Broncos get their chance to impress others on the big state. It's on neutral ground and it's against the #10 Virginia Tech Hokies. BSU, coming off a 14-0 season return almost all of their starters and face contention from the Hokies. VA Tech, led by QB Tyrod Taylor and RBs Ryan Williams and Darren Evans could try to outsmart the Boise State D, but their defense is just as good. I'm picking Boise State to win.

2) Oregon State vs. TCU (Saturday at 7:45pm): Set at Jerryworld, these two teams will meet and their programs continue to get better. Oregon State (who faces Boise State in week 2) will begin their season against the top-notched defense of the TCU Horned Frogs. TCU returns 9 offensive starters who score nearly 40 points/game and their defense gives up less than 14 points/game. On the other side, Oregon State features an explosive offense which will get better and their defense continues to impress. I'm taking Oregon State in this contest, which could be decided in OT.

3) USC vs. Hawaii (Thursday at 11pm): The reason why this game makes the list is only because USC is going in a transition year, with Pete Carroll moving to coach the Seahawks, the Trojans hired Lane Kiffin. The other problem is that USC cannot be eligible for the postseason for the next 2 years thanks to allegations and penalties handed down by the NCAA. Matt Barkley returns under center and the Trojans are a young team that will need a lot of work. I take USC in a blowout.

4) LSU vs. North Carolina (Saturday at 8pm): LSU is coming off a disappointing 2009 season and coach Les Miles is on the hot seat in 2010. The SEC conference is tough and the #21 Tigers need a win against UNC in order to contend. Meanwhile the Tar Heels, ranked #18 is known for the defense, and their offense needs to step up if they want to impress others, especially in the ACC. I'm picking LSU for the W.

5) Connecticut vs. Michigan (Saturday at 3:30pm): Michigan coach Rich Rodriguez is once again on the hot seat as Wolverines continue to struggle in recent years. They have the pleasure to host UConn in the first week at the big house. "Rich Rod's" defense needs to step up if they want to compete with Ohio State, Iowa and Penn State and needs a win. UConn with a difficult season after the death of Jasper Howard, looks to be a dark horse for the Big East and RB Jordan Todman is a key leader to help out the Huskies. In a close game, I'm taking UConn.


OTHER MATCHUPS TO WATCH OUT FOR:
1) Purdue vs. Notre Dame (Saturday at 3:30pm): The Fighting Irish with a new coach in Brian Kelly looks to rebound after recent struggling seasons as they take on the Boilermakers. Irish QB Dayne Crist will lead the team and will be pressured right away as well as the team if they could contend in 2010. Purdue on the other hand is looking to come off a 5-7 season and try to compete with the Big Ten. I'm going with Notre Dame in this contest.

2) Washington vs. BYU: Both teams had impressive and improving 2009 seasons and they open up the 2010 campaign against each other. The Huskies with QB Jake Locker has to get his chance to improve his Draft forecast against the Cougars. The Huskies are a dark horse to win the Pac-10 with 2nd year coach Steve Sarkisian. Meanwhile, BYU QB Max Hall will try to break his own records as the team went 11-2 last year and could be a contender to win the Mountain West. I'm going with Washington in this one.

3) Louisville vs. Kentucky (Saturday): This in-state rivalry has always been exciting to watch. Louisville, coming off a disappointing 4-8 season will try to start off quickly and contend for the Big East title. They first have to face coach Joker Phillips' Wildcats who went 7-6 in 2009. This game can also be bragging rights for the state and I'm going with Kentucky to keep those rights.


It's a long season and I'm looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment